"I was thinking Charlotte was a pretty name," Edward told his wife as he poured his morning coffee.
Bella thought for a moment from her seat at the kitchen table, but didn't immediately shoot down his choice. "Um, it is pretty," she began after biting her lip. "Refresh my memory. It's not the name of an ex-girlfriend or anything, is it, Edward?" She finally blurted.
Edward choked out a laugh, completely taken by surprise. "Of course not," he began before deciding to tease her. "Or at least, I don't think so. I honestly can't remember. There have been so many…"
"Edward! I refuse to choose that name if there's even the slightest possibility that our child will share it with some hoochie from your past," Bella stated indignantly.
Edward laughed again. "Angel, I was teasing. I've never dated anyone name Charlotte. There, are you happy now?" He asked before leaning down and kissing her nose.
Bella shrugged. "How about Katherine as a middle name?"
"Charlotte Katherine," Edward let out a low whistle. "That's quite a serious name for a little baby." He observed.
"Well, we could shorten it. We could call her Lottie."
Edward thought about that. He liked it. "Lottie Kate?"
Bella smiled widely for a moment, and then immediately frowned. "That depends…"
"On what Angel?"
"On whether you ever dated anyone named Kate."
Edward laughed loudly and wrapped his arms around her shoulders from behind before leaning down to kiss her neck. "Kate's safe, as is Katherine."
Bella sagged with relief. "Now we need to run it past the children for final approval."
Edward laughed again. "Good luck with that."
As it turned out, the children did approve of the name, especially the shortened version.
***S*C***
"Ree, I believe that is probably the most beautiful shamrock I have ever seen. What made you think to color it purple?" Bella could hear the smile in her husband's voice as he spoke.
As she placed the lasagna in the oven, she chuckled quietly over the fact that Edward was the only person in this world that Marie allowed to call her by a nickname. He seemed to have a way with all the women in his life; at least the ones in Winter Harbor.
"Well," Marie began as she placed her finger on her chin, deep in thought, "all the other kids was coloring,"
"Were coloring," Edward corrected.
Marie smiled. "All the other kids were coloring their shamrocks green. It was kinda boring, so I picked purple for mine. Mrs. Harris wouldn't let me put glitter on it though…" Marie said in obvious disappointment.
"She wouldn't, huh?" Edward asked. "That's okay Marie, some people have no imagination," He stated before retreating to the family room and returning with a tube of pink glitter glue.
After depositing Marie at the kitchen table where she happily embellished her shamrock with glitter, Edward turned to his son, who was now rolling around on the floor cackling loudly while Samwise licked his face. It was the same thing every afternoon. The dog loved every member of his little family, but Anthony was clearly his favorite.
"Sam," Edward called, drawing the dog's attention away from his son for a moment. "How was your day, son?" He asked while rubbing Samwise's neck.
Anthony sat up, wiping the dog saliva from his face with a smile. "I had a really good day, Daddy. The leprechaun visited our classroom!" he exclaimed in awe.
"Really?" Edward played along. "Did you see him?"
"No," Anthony started in a whisper, as if he was about to confide the most important secret ever to his father. "He came to the classroom while we were in music class."
"Oh," Edward whispered conspiratorially.
"And when we got back, there was candy money on all the desks!" He exclaimed before running over to his backpack and pulling out the proof to show his Daddy.
"Oh wow." Edward said in awe. "You are such a lucky boy Anthony; I never had anything so wonderful happen when I was in school."
Anthony smiled proudly as he handed one of the precious chocolate coins to his Daddy. "Here, you can have one."
"Really?"
Anthony nodded and smiled, so Edward unwrapped the coin with a wink and popped it into his mouth.
The next morning, the entire family rose early. Since Saint Patrick's Day was on a Saturday this year, Edward and Bella had decided to take the children to Old Orchard Beach where they could watch the parade, and spend the rest of the weekend enjoying the sights of the town.
Less than an hour into the more than three hour ride, the children fell fast asleep. Soon, the sound of their rhythmic breathing coupled with the soft music playing through the car speakers caused Bella's eyelids to feel heavy.
It's late at night and we're all alone,
Just the music on the radio.
No one's comin', no one's gonna telephone.
Just me and you and the lights down low.
She smiled as her mind drifted toward sleep. Her husband wasn't perfect, but sometimes he came pretty darned close. Knowing Bella's love for old sixties rock and roll, which she'd inherited from her parents, he'd obviously made this playlist with her in mind.
And we just flow together when the lights are low,
Shadows dancin' all across the wall.
Music's playin' so soft and slow
The rest of the world's so far away and small, when...
We're slow dancin', swayin' to the music.
Slow dancin', just me and my girl.
Slow dancin', swayin' to the music.
No one else in the whole wide world…
She rested her hand on his and gave him a gentle squeeze. Edward smiled and moved until their hands were clasped, fingers interlaced, and resting on the console between them. Bella sighed and closed her eyes contentedly as her mind drifted back to a very different weekend a year before…
***Flashback*** One year earlier***
Bella and Edward were both nervous about the weekend away, but for slightly different reasons.
Edward's attack of nerves resulted from the fact that he'd been dating Bella for three months, and he hoped to return from this mini-vacation having taken the next step in their relationship.
In other words, he really hoped that Bella was ready to have sex.
With him.
A lot of sex.
Okay, a moderate amount of sex.
Fuck, at this point he'd settle for one sexual encounter.
One amazing, toe-curling, earth-shattering encounter where he and Bella saw stars and easily forgot their own names…
He was brought up short when he realized that his inner voice sounded like a woman.
Maybe my cousin was right: going this long without sex has resulted in me growing a 'mangina'.
Edward cringed at the thought.
In the end, he decided that his first instincts were correct. Bella had stated that sex with her ex-husband had been less than fulfilling. Edward took that to mean that Bella had probably never experienced an orgasm through any efforts of that loser, so Edward felt he owed it to her that their first experience be a memorable one.
He'd planned the entire three day weekend. It was going to be perfect. New York was his hometown after all, and there was nothing better than getting to experience the city during a holiday.
And there's nothing worse than New York during a holiday…
He pushed that thought aside and concentrated on the ways he would make Bella happy. He drew strength in the knowledge that, if he knew anything, it was how to show a girl a good time.
Bella's attack of nerves had begun the moment she'd had to say goodbye to Marie and Anthony at her parents' home. They kicked into high gear as soon as she boarded the early morning plane to New York, but seemed to calm somewhat when Edward held her hand.
No doubt he believed she had a fear of flying.
It was true that flying wasn't her favorite thing, but she'd done it a few times in her life; when her grandfather died, and she'd had to attend his funeral; when her parents had taken her to Disney World as a child and, since her divorce, when her friends had been able to convince her to fly away with them on vacation.
No, Bella's sudden case of anxiety resulted from the realization that she and Edward would be together all weekend, in the same hotel room, alone.
Sex with Edward…
She knew it was inevitable, and she was ready; more than ready. But she couldn't help the nagging fear which murmured in her ear, sounding an awful lot like her ex-husband. It seemed to play in a loop in her brain, constantly reminding her that she was no good at this. Those thoughts led to others, or rather a series of visuals of her past sexual experiences. They had all been with Will, obviously, and any of the times in which he'd been tender and sweet had been all but obscured by his later deeds.
When Bella thought back to them now, all she seemed to recall was his sweaty, grunting body poised above her own, just as he was about to come. Afterward, there were no words of love, not even a kiss, before he rolled off and left the bed in order to clean up. Upon his return, he would lie down, always facing away from his wife. She could almost set her watch by the fact that less than two minutes later, he'd be snoring.
She shook all thoughts of Will from her mind and turned to face the man she loved, giving him a small smile just as the plane touched down at LaGuardia airport.
***S*C***
As soon as they'd arrived and stowed their luggage at the hotel, Edward had taken her to breakfast at an Irish Pub, and insisted that she order the traditional breakfast. For the first time all day, Bella was relaxed and enjoying herself.
Edward pursed his lips as he thought. "Well, that is black pudding and the other is white pudding."
"But what is it exactly? I mean, they don't look like any pudding I've ever seen. They look like sausage patties."
Edward grinned. "I'll tell you later, just try them, they're good."
Bella gave him a wary look, but took a bite anyway. She trusted Edward. She had to admit that whatever it was, it was delicious. She made a mental note to ask the question again later.
Edward, however, hoped she'd forget all about it.
After breakfast, Edward glanced at his watch. He knew they'd need to get a move on if they wanted a good spot to watch the parade. However, as they exited the pub, a vaguely familiar voice called his name. "Edward, is that you?"
He turned to see a woman seated with a couple of other people. As he took in her face, realization dawned and his eyes grew wide.
"Oh hi, how are you?"
"I'm very well; I think you remember my sister Holly?" The woman said, frowning, and with a noticeably sharp edge to her tone. Edward nodded stiffly at the sister, who in turn scowled at him.
Bella was so confused. Edward's posture had become defensive and his countenance had lost all the humor from just a moment before. In short, he looked visibly upset.
"What's it been, Edward, eight years?" the woman spoke again.
"Guess so," Edward answered in a hoarse whisper.
The woman then turned her harsh gaze to Bella. "I'm Ginny, by the way, and you are?"
"Uh, Bella." Bella answered before turning to Edward for some sort of silent explanation.
Edward wouldn't meet her eyes.
"And you are Edward's wife? love interest? one night stand?" Ginny asked, no longer attempting to mask the hostility in her voice.
"She's my girlfriend." Edward answered through gritted teeth.
"Well, aren't you fortunate to have a title. Let me ask you Bella, do you have a sister by any chance?"
Bella automatically shook her head no, before realizing that she didn't want to give this woman the time of day. She was obviously a bitch, and was making Edward feel very uncomfortable.
"We need to leave." Edward suddenly blurted as he grabbed Bella's arm and started walking in the direction of the exit.
"A word of warning, don't be surprised if one day he just stops calling, Bella." Ginny called after them. "Oh and Edward, I never got the chance to say this eight years ago so let me do so now: Have a nice life, you prick."
Bella and Edward heard the other people seated with Ginny begin to laugh, but they didn't turn to acknowledge them.
Edward hailed a cab and they rode in silence, Bella biting back the questions that now flooded her mind. Obviously that woman Ginny had history with Edward. She wanted to know, or did she?
By the time they'd reached their destination, she'd made a deal with herself that any and all questions could wait until later.
***S*C***
He smiled against her lips, happier at that moment than he'd ever been in his life. So far, the day had been everything he'd hoped; apart from the fact that Ginny and her sister had waylaid them in the pub earlier, being with Bella had made him feel whole, content, and grounded.
He wanted to keep her forever.
It was something he'd never felt before.
After the parade, Edward took Bella to his favorite bookshop, where they spent part of the afternoon before riding back to the hotel in order to check-in. Even though it was one of his mother's properties, Edward had decided not to use his clout to ensure early check-in. If he had been honest with himself, he would have to admit that he had been postponing the moment when he and Bella would be alone.
"Wow," was all Bella could say after she looked around nervously at what would be their home for the next two nights. "This is nice."
Edward was immediately in tune with her mood. "Angel, I have no expectations tonight," he told her quietly as he reached for her hand, holding it between both of his.
He was lying, but there was no way he'd ever admit it.
Bella let out a breath and nodded. "I think I'll go freshen up."
"Okay, we have dinner reservations, but don't have to leave for another hour."
"Oh." She gave him a small smile. "I'll just have a bath then."
He sat down on the bed, never taking his eyes off of her as she gathered her toiletries and clothing.
He may have let his gaze linger longer than normal on her ass as she turned and walked into the bathroom. He was a man after all.
She has no idea how she affects me. She takes my breath away.
How Edward wished he could have shared that bath with her.
***S*C***
They had a nice dinner, and chatted about everything and nothing. When the conversation turned to the events of the day, they spoke of how much the children would have enjoyed the parade. Then they decided to phone them to say goodnight. Even though Bella and Edward realized how much they needed this time together, being the loving parents they were, they didn't find it easy to leave their children.
After the phone call, goodnights having been said, Bella gazed once again at the man before her. She thought about how close they'd gotten and how much she'd come to rely on Edward in her life. She loved him more than any man she'd ever known, but there were obviously some things about him that she still didn't know.
Her thoughts returned to the confrontation in the pub that morning, and she let her mind draw the logical conclusion. Ginny's contemptuous glares were not those of a former acquaintance; they were those of an ex-lover.
She took a deep breath followed by a large sip of wine for courage.
"Edward, can I ask you something?"
"Of course Angel," he answered with a warm smile.
"Why was that woman in the pub so angry? I promise not to judge you, but it appeared to me that she was an ex-girlfriend."
Edward grimaced. "No, she was never my girlfriend." It crossed his mind that 'girlfriend' was the term by which he now identified Bella, when she was actually so much more…
Bella's forehead creased in confusion.
Edward covered her hand with his. "I suppose now is as good a time as any to share the details of my 'sexual history'," he said in a whisper.
He sighed and leaned back in his chair, but kept his hand on hers.
"Edward, that's not necessary," Bella began.
"Yes, actually it is. I will warn you that I'm not particularly proud of my behavior, but it was what it was, and I realize that if I hadn't been somewhat of a jackass all those years ago, Anthony probably wouldn't be here. So, yeah, I can't say I regret everything."
He cleared his throat and began, "I won't bore you with further details of my ex-wife; I think we've covered that subject ad nauseam."
Bella bit her lip in concern as she watched him struggle for what to say next.
"Okay, in order to understand what happened this morning, I have to go back a bit. And, if I'm going to do that, I may as well tell you everything."
"Edward, believe me, you really don't have to do this. I was merely curious as to why that woman seemed so hostile."
"Bella, it's okay. I've been intending to have this conversation with you for a while; I just kept putting it off." He frowned and looked down at where his hand rested on hers. "Um, my first girlfriend was Rachel. We dated for almost a year in high school, and aside from the fact that I lost my virginity to her, that relationship was nothing special. I don't think I'd recognize her if I saw her on the street."
Edward winced a little when he realized how cruel that must have sounded.
He lifted his gaze to meet Bella's eyes, "It was a long time ago," he said in an effort to clarify.
"Anyway, I met Chloe through the friend of a friend just before I turned eighteen. We sort of dated, but eventually our relationship became strange. We split up and didn't see each other for quite some time after she met another guy and I met Maddie."
Edward then did something totally unexpected. He chuckled. Bella was even more confused. "It's funny," he told her then. "For a long time, I thought Maddie was 'the one'."
Bella almost smiled at the little air quotes he made with his fingers. "But about five minutes after I met you, I realized how wrong I'd been."
Bella gave him a loving smile.
It was enough to give him the courage to continue. "I dated Maddie for two years, but the relationship was not without problems. She went to a different college, so we didn't get to see each other as much as we wanted. We broke up for a time during the first year because neither of us was mature enough for a long-distance relationship. That should have been the first warning sign, but I was clueless back then."
He shook his head at his own immaturity. "Chloe was single again, so we picked up where we'd left off."
Without him saying the words, Bella understood that his relationship with Chloe was mainly a sexual one.
"As soon as Maddie showed up on my doorstep crying about how much she missed me and wanted to get back together, I never returned another one of Chloe's phone calls. I know it was a dickhead move, but I was a selfish bastard back then."
"We dated for another year. This time, I thought the long-distance thing was working. That was until I visited Maddie for the weekend and she did something unforgiveable."
"What was that?" Bella asked; her curiosity piqued.
"You know how I hate and despise illegal drug use, Bella?"
Bella nodded.
"I've always been that way, and everyone who knows me, knows that about me." He blew out a breath. "Well, we were attending a party after one of her school's football games and someone passed her a bong. She took a hit right in front of me, and it was obvious that she'd done it before, many times. It was also obvious that she'd planned that move in order to hurt me."
"Well, she succeeded in her intentions, because I was both hurt and disgusted when I pulled her outside to speak in private."
"When I asked her why she would do that, knowing how I felt, she laughed in my face and proceeded to tell me how she'd began experimenting a couple of months before and that I didn't know what I was missing. She informed that it lowered her inhibitions, and then proceeded to tell me about the other guys and girls she'd fucked while she was high. I was shattered. I ended things right there and then."
Edward neglected to tell Bella that Maddie, while high as a kite, had tried to get Edward to have sex with her that night, and he had pushed her away. In one evening, she'd gone from being someone he thought he was in love with, to somebody who turned his stomach.
"I was pretty low after that. Obviously, I didn't phone Chloe, knowing she probably hated me for the way I'd treated her," Edward said as he scrubbed his hands over his face. "I met Ginny in a bar one evening where I'd gone to drown my sorrows. She was older than me by a few years, very attractive, and savvy to the ways of the world. Being that I was drunk as shit, it didn't take much for her to seduce me."
"We began seeing each other off and on; always at her apartment. Sometimes, not often, I would spend the night. On one such occasion, I awoke to find Ginny's sister, Holly, naked and in bed with me. Ginny had left me sleeping and gone to work, and Holly had decided to take advantage of the opportunity. She confessed that she'd been attracted to me since the day we met. I know I'm a bastard and I wouldn't blame you if you wanted no more to do with me after this, but… I slept with her."
Edward stared down at the table, not able to meet Bella's eyes. "I slept with her, and then I fled. I ignored the many calls I received from Ginny after that, and especially the ones from Holly. I did, however send Ginny one final text message. When she had asked why I was ignoring her calls, I merely texted back that she should 'ask her sister', and left it at that. From the looks of things today, her sister must have told her what happened, but I'm assuming that Iwas painted as the seducer in Holly's version."
"Soon after that, I attended the wedding where I met my ex-wife, and the rest, as they say, is history." Edward picked up his wine glass and drained it, setting it back on the table with a thud.
Bella looked at his tortured expression and fell even more in love with him. Edward was a very silly man if he believed that something he'd done years before they'd met would turn her away. She was in too deep.
She let out a breath and reached for his face, placing the palm of her hand against his cheek. Edward leaned into her touch, but wouldn't look at her. But then Bella said the only words that would reach him during that moment of self-loathing. "Edward, I love you."
He lifted his gaze then and looked into her eyes. "I love you too Angel," he whispered. "And I'm sorry I'm such a big disappointment."
"Edward, you have no reason to apologize. Do you really think so little of me to believe that I would hold the mistakes of your youth against you? That's not even remotely rational." She huffed. "The past is exactly that. The only way that it has any bearing on the here and now, is that hopefully we've learned from our mistakes. I know I have."
Edward gave her a small smile. "I have as well."
Bella nodded and pressed her lips into a thin smile before speaking again. "Alright, now that we've settled that, and I've decided that I don't want dessert, can we get out of here so that my handsome boyfriend can make love to me?"
Edward almost choked on his tongue.
"Wha…?" He began before Bella cut him off.
She quirked an eyebrow and stared him down. "You heard me."
Edward threw some money on the table and grabbed Bella's hand before, flying from the restaurant as if the furies of hell were hot on his heels.
Back at the hotel, he wondered what had happened to the shy, reserved girl he had known, for Bella was suddenly neither of those things. As soon as the door to their room clicked shut, she turned and kissed him with a passion that could have quite easily set the room on fire.
At the very least, it caused both of them to start rapidly 'losing' articles of clothing as they made their way over to the bed. Shoes, a pair of dress pants, a skirt, a button down, a woman's blouse; once their legs bumped against the bed, they stopped their ministrations and stared at each other, clad in only underwear.
"What is going on Bella?" Edward asked, his hands resting on her hips.
Bella took a deep breath. "It was because of your story," she admitted with a small shrug.
Edward looked stunned. "I don't understand. I thought if anything, knowing of my past indiscretions would repulse you."
Bella bit her lip. "See, here's the thing Edward. I love you. I mean, I must really love you. Because when you told me all of that, and you looked so, so… lost. Instead of being a stupid irrational female and getting jealous or angry, over something which happened long ago, it broke my heart to see you feeling that way. It dawned on me that you've never truly made love. None of those women loved you; not even Maddie, because if she loved you, she wouldn't have treated you that way."
Edward pondered her words before nodding. "That's true," he stated thoughtfully.
"And I realized that when we have sex, it won't be just sex. We will each be making love with someone who truly loves us back. Suddenly, I wanted it. I wanted it bad… I still do."
Edward pulled her against him. "I do too Angel, so much, but I want to take this slow. I want it to be good for you."
Bella nodded before sitting down on the bed and then lying down fully across it, and pulling Edward down with her. There they lay, facing one another, happy smiles on their faces. Edward touched his fingertips to her cheek. "Oh, and by the way, I love you too," he whispered, making Bella's heart melt.
"If you didn't, I wouldn't be here."
He kissed her gently, his lips moving softly against hers as his hand brushed against the soft bare skin of her waist. "Do you have any idea how much I want you?" he murmured against her lips. "I've been able to think about little else since the moment we crashed grocery carts."
Bella smiled against his lips. "I'm going to make you feel so good, Bella," he told her as he caressed her skin before slowly reaching under the front of her bra, cupping one of her breasts. Bella moaned into his mouth when his thumb and forefinger gently pinched the nipple.
Suddenly Edward reached around and unhooked the bra, pulling it off of her arms and tossing it away in one swift movement.
"You're even more beautiful than I imagined," he said while gazing at her now exposed chest. He continued to tease her nipples as he kissed his way down to her hips.
She stiffened when he looped his thumbs into the material of her panties and gave them a tug. At her reaction, he halted his movements and stood to remove his boxer briefs and then removed the panties, dropping them to the floor. Bella wanted to peek at him, but she didn't want Edward to catch her.
Eventually, she couldn't resist, and when she took in the sight of him, she realized that every part of him was perfect, just as she'd suspected.
Instead of climbing back on the bed, Edward reached under Bella, grasping the back of each knee while pulling her toward the edge of the bed. He then fell to his knees, spread her legs, and began to kiss the soft skin on the inside of each thigh. Bella moaned loudly when she felt his lips on her sex.
She dragged her fingers through his hair as he hummed against her, teasing with his lips and tongue. The feeling was divine, but Bella wanted more. As if he could read her thoughts, Edward stood until he was hovering over her. "Do you still want this Angel?" he breathed against her lips.
"Yes, so much." Bella was able to pant out before his lips were on hers again. She could feel his erection against her sex, and she lifted her hips in order to rub against him.
Letting him know without words that she was ready.
More than ready.
They both moaned loudly when Edward finally eased into her and began to move. It wasn't so much the fact that it had been years since either had had sex, no, it was more their natural reaction to sharing this moment with one another. Their hearts, minds, and now their bodies knew that Bella and Edward belonged together.
Edward had been determined to hold off his orgasm until Bella had hers, but found that it was close to impossible. He'd never been this keyed up in his life, and making love to Bella was just too good. He reached between them, teasing her. As soon as he felt her muscles constricting around his length he let go with a loud groan, spilling into her, as Bella arched her back calling Edward's name.
It was amazing… toe-curling… earth-shattering…
Oh fuck yes, it most certainly was…
And Bella finally knew, without a doubt, exactly what all the fuss was about.
***S*C***
Bella was more than willing to comply. After all, once they returned home, she knew that it would be difficult to have an entire night together. Marie and Anthony would always come ahead of their own selfish pleasure.
"Angel, you are so perfect," he whispered after they came down from their mutual high. "I never want to lose you."
Bella placed her hand on his cheek, "Why are you talking like that? I'm not planning to go anywhere."
He closed his eyes before answering. "I've just never had anything that felt as if it would last forever." He turned and kissed her hand. "Until now…"
Bella's breath caught in her throat, so that it took a moment to answer. "I feel exactly the same Edward. I'm yours for as long as you want me."
He grinned. "I'm thinking that forever sounds just about right."
***S*C***
Evidently, Esme Cullen was a force to be reckoned with.
"So Bella dear, what is it that you do?"
Bella took a deep breath. "I'm a librarian." That was the simple answer. The more complicated one was that she worked at the library during the winter months as a glorified go-fer, and during the summer months she waited tables at the local golf course restaurant. She didn't think either of those would impress the illustrious Mrs. Cullen, so she kept it simple.
"How quaint," Edward's mother said with a polite smile, before turning toward her son, who was openly glaring at her.
She paid no notice before speaking again. "Edward, I ran into Mrs. Forrester last week at a charity function and she mentioned that Maddie is having an art show in one of the galleries in the Village next month. You should definitely attend."
Edward's mouth fell open in surprise as Bella's mind was in a muddle.
Maddie? Surely she's not speaking of the Maddie. Edward's ex-girlfriend?
"And why would I do that, Mother?" Edward asked.
"Well, her mother mentioned that Maddie often asks about you. A mature person would wish their ex no ill will, now wouldn't they?"
"I don't know, Mother, how do you feel about Simon Platt? I don't see you going out of your way to 'wish him well'," Edward retorted, drawing a gasp from his mother.
"Edward, that was uncalled for," his father interrupted.
"I don't understand. It's okay for Mother to disrespect my girlfriend by suggesting I should see my ex, but it's not okay for me to mention her ex."
"Edward, suffice it to say that my circumstances were quite different from yours, and let's leave it at that." Mrs. Cullen said pointedly.
"I'm willing to drop the subject as long as you are," Edward told her.
His mother nodded once.
The conversation became less tense for a while then as Edward's parents inquired after their grandson. It was clear to Bella that they loved Anthony dearly.
"I cannot wait until you come to your senses and move back to the city, son. Your mother and I miss you and Anthony very much."
"I'm not coming back, Dad," Edward answered simply. "Anthony and I are happy where we are."
"You may be happy, but are you living up to your full potential?" Mr. Cullen asked.
"Are you talking about making money Dad? Because I'm here to tell you that money isn't everything." Edward said in a slightly raised voice, drawing glances from patrons at some of the other tables.
"What a simplistic statement." Mr. Cullen said in answer. "And I can guarantee with some surety that only those who have money would utter something so trite."
Edward shrugged. "All I know is that Anthony and I have everything we need."
"But Edward, surely the educational system in that wilderness must be inferior to what Anthony's used to."
Bella had tried to remain polite, but she found that she couldn't hold back any longer. "With all due respect, Mrs. Cullen, you don't know what you're talking about."
Esme Cullen's eyes opened wide in surprise as she took in the petite brunette across the table.
"I was born and raised in Winter Harbor, and there was nothing lacking in my education. Now, I will admit that giving birth to my daughter at eighteen put a damper on my plans for college, but no more so than being married to a worthless deadbeat did." She now had Esme's full attention.
"Once I was rid of him, I found the confidence to take online courses while working and hope to complete my degree very soon. Where we live is not a wilderness, Mrs. Cullen. Yes, we may have to travel a bit farther to enjoy some of the amenities offered in a big city, but that's a small price to pay for living in a place that is as close to heaven as I imagine anywhere on this earth could be."
"My daughter attends kindergarten in the same school as Anthony, and they are two of the brightest children I've ever known, scoring at or above their grade level in every subject. All I can tell you is, if you don't believe me then maybe you should make a trip to Winter Harbor and see for yourself."
Esme narrowed her eyes at Bella before changing the subject. The rest of the meal was uneventful, and Bella breathed a sigh of relief as soon as they climbed into the cab that would take them back to their hotel.
She wasn't sure how she would go about telling Edward that she didn't care for his parents. Although, she suspected that he already knew.
During the ride, Edward's phone chimed with an incoming text. When he read it, he chuckled lightly before turning to Bella. "It's from my mother." Bella winced, not quite sure why anything sent by Esme Cullen after that disaster of a lunch would amuse Edward.
"It seems that they liked you," he stated with a smile.
Bella frowned. If this was his attempt at humor, it wasn't funny. "What makes you say that?"
"Well, I guess my first clue was that it says: Edward, we like Bella very much. Hold on to that one. She's a keeper."
Bella looked at him in shock. "I'm so confused. I thought they hated me, especially your Mom."
Edward smiled. "Oh, I'm sure they believed some of the nonsense they were spouting, but if I know my mother, she was also testing you. After Jackie, she's quite protective."
At that moment, Bella appreciated her own parents more than ever before.
***S*C***
"Forget about that and hand it over Eddie-ward." Bella said with a grin. Edward smiled and pulled the cherry from his whiskey sour, depositing it in the palm of her waiting hand.
He watched in fascination as she ate the cherry and then proceeded to tie the stem in a knot with her tongue. It was like the sixth time she'd done it that evening, and he couldn't seem to get enough.
Of course he'd seen others do the exact same thing in college but somehow, watching Bella was a whole lot sexier.
He hummed in appreciation as he thought of other uses for that talented tongue.
Edward leaned into Bella until his lips were very close to her ear. "Are you ready to go back to the hotel, Angel?"
Bella felt a sudden shiver, certain that it was the result of his warm breath against her neck. "Yes baby, I'm ready," she informed before turning to plant a wet kiss on his lips.
That night, they barely made it to the bed for round one of their love-making.
The next morning, they woke late, hung-over, but still deliriously happy, and more in love than ever before, as they looked forward to going home.
Home. As for Edward, he knew that from that moment on, wherever his Angel might be, would always be home to him.
***********************A/N***********************
A/N Song Rec: Swaying to the Music by Johnny Rivers.
Not gonna tell you what black/white pudding is, but I will say that in some places it's called 'blood pudding'.
All the names of Edward's ex-girlfriends (not the ex-wife) came from the character names of Georges DuRoy's lovers in Bel Ami, with the exception of 'Holly' which was the name of the actress who played one.

No comments:
Post a Comment